9.10 – Stilton Stock Car Derby 5000
Stock car racing is a form of automobile racing. Traditionally, races are run on oval tracks measuring approximately 0.25 to 2.66 miles. The cars that race on it are unmodified, or “stock” cars, hence the name given to the format.
The Stilton Stockcar Derby 5000, aka the Stilton Derby, is a stock car race in which the participants must go around the track 5000 times. As the track is around half a mile in length, it can result in the cars having traveled 2500 miles. This is done over a series of 5 days. Teams lose points from a starting total of 5000 every time they stop to fuel or change drivers or illicit repairs etc, but this is not a practice used in other stock car races, only in the SSCD5k.
The SSCD5k was founded many years ago by the Stilton family, who had recently changed their name to the type of cheese they were famous for in the local area. They needed a way to get their product to stores and locations in the area without using refrigeration. So they started holding races to find the best racers and cars. The winner got the transport contract. Every year more people turned up just to watch the race and eventually the transportation side of the event was dropped and the focus remained purely on the race itself.
The 5k Derby as it is sometimes called is held every year in the same location, the Stilton Stadium, built on land the family purchased soon after the races became popular. The Stadium can hold many thousands people and has space for other events as well, although the stock car race is the number one reason.
Hooks & Rumours
- There are plans by the SSDC to make the largest stock car track in the world, with a length of one circuit being almost 4 miles. They are looking for a suitable location to begin work on the Monster Track, as it has been unofficially dubbed.
- The rules about the changing of drivers are being reviewed after one of the drivers fell asleep at the wheel in the middle of the race.
- It is believed the reason why the Stilton family wanted a race without refrigeration was due to some obscure law they had broken before their name change, preventing them from obtaining such transportation.
- Records are believed to show the land the stadium was built on was in fact stolen from another before it was sold to the Stiltons. The original owners are trying to locate who the Stiltons brought the land deed from.
- Part of the Stilton Stadium collapsed a couple of days before a major event. First impressions are that the damage done was deliberately caused.
Inspired by: Stock Car Racing
Volume 8 of the compiled and updated Campaign Chunks is available at DrivethruRPG.com