Started 90 years ago the Grand Derby (so-called not because of its size or prestige but after it’s founder – Josephine Grand) has now lived up to its name and become one of THE social events of the year. Held at the racetrack at Grands estate, the track goes through woodland and hills and across a small stream. The track itself is able to be portioned off making it length variable from 1/2 a mile to almost 2, the maximum only being used for the Grand Derby itself. Various hedges,jumps and other obstacles are placed along its length and the track varies from soft to hard and loose to compact as it winds its way through the estate and passes very close to a local tavern – “The Horse and Jockey”, where many locals gather to drink and make wagers on the various races that take part.
Hooks & Rumors
- Records surface that the Grand estate was obtained illegally. These may be fake and this must be investigated before the next derby or it will be cancelled.
- An assassin has taken a room at the “Horse and Jockey” to kill one of the racers
- Several of the horses meant to take part in the next GD have fallen ill. Of those that remain, 3/4 of them belong to one owner.
- A local wildlife group believes that the race is harmful to a rare species of badger that lives next to the track and is planning on a (non-violent) demonstration at the gates to the estate. However a rival group plans on changing the nonviolent part and blaming the peaceful group.
- One of the PCs has been invited to the social event for a chance to watch the event and the mingle with the rich and famous. Is this legitimate or a trap?
This was created based on the ideas in this post
Article Used as Inspiration: Kentucky Derby
This adventure outline is to help start off your own ideas. The details are left to you to decide, such as rewards, difficulty of any creatures or NPCs encountered etc.