Gastroenteritis is also known as infectious diarrhea. Inflammation of the stomach and small intestine produces some combination of diarrhea, vomiting, and abdominal pain and cramping. Dehydration often occurs, so it is import for those suffering from this to keep up their fluid levels.
Transmission may occur due to consumption of improperly prepared foods or contaminated water or via close contact with individuals who are infectious.
Prevention includes the use of fresh water, regular hand washing etc.
It causes approximately 1.4 million deaths per year with the larger parts of this toll being in areas with poor water and sanitary conditions. As can be imagined, this takes it toll on the weak and frail, such as children and elderly more than others.
The latest outbreak sweeping the nation is no exception. The death toll is rising each day and demands on medical services rise as well.
Hooks & Rumours
- One of the players keeps getting Gastroenteritis despite there being no obvious reasons for this to occur
- One particular small town somehow seems to be immune to the wave of Gastroenteritis sweeping the nation. The government medical board has asked that this be investigated for a treatment for the rest of the nation
- A nearby town requires help whilst recovering from the latest outbreak.
- Despite a strict quarantine a local city has somehow become infected with Gastroenteritis and the mayor is starting to panic.
- The local hospitals are being swamped due to the outbreak and need help with getting much-needed supplies from a neighbouring nation. The supplies need to be guarded as the last two lots have been stolen, making the problems at the hospital much worse
- A revolutionary new treatment has been revealed – Which on the surface appears to work better and faster when compared to conventional treatments. Suspicions are being raised though as to the nature and long-term effects of the treatments and the lead scientist has gone missing.
This was created based on the ideas in this post:
Article Used as Inspiration: Gastroenteritis
Stats and details are expressed in generic terms to allow for use in as many games and genres as possible. As with other Campaign Chunks this is designed to be used as a starting block for your own ideas.