An aquatic abyss is an underwater plain on the deep ocean floor, normally found from 3000 to 6000 meters under the surface of the ocean. This particular one is at approximately 5600 meters at it deepest with a typical depth of just over 5000 meters. It is quite small for an abyss, with a length of only 500 km. It is probably not even the deepest on the planet, but it is the most famous. Various ships have been lost near it,weather patterns are more intense, waves are higher. Scholars belive this to be a coincidence and that other areas have more extreme weather, but for various reasons this area has become popular with writers and the public as an “area of mystery”
- An experimental underwater vessel has been commissioned to explore the GDA. On board this ship is a world-famous and popular scientist.
- The area around the GDA is becoming unstable and water levels are in flux. Various settlements near to the GDA need to be evacuated as a precaution.
- New fish and other aquatic creatures have been discovered coming from the area
- A faint light has been spotted hovering over the area where the deepest part of the abyss is located
- The ship of a famous explorer, lost 30 years ago, turns up floating above the deepest part of the abyss with no life on board, but all supplies fresh and useable.
This was created based on the ideas in this post
Article Used as Inspiration: Abyssal plain
This adventure outline is to help start off your own ideas. The details are left to you to decide, such as rewards, difficulty of any creatures or NPCs encountered etc.