Hemcus, like most farming towns, is small, compact and happy with the way things are. The corn they produces feeds many hungry mouths, the weather is good and the people are, for the most part, friendly. Yes it’s a quite out-of-the-way kinda place, not for everyone,but that’s just the way the folks who live there like. They have nothing against visitors (just prefer being on their own) and welcome all with a friendly smile as they arrive and eventually leave.
Their lives have recently changed when a meteor shower took place. Although the shower was, by itself, not something to write any scientific papers about, what was found afterwards got quite a few people’s attention.
Called Star-Jelly , this translucent or grayish-white gelatin like substance, normally evaporates soon after “falling”. 3 days late the original mass, which is approximately 2 feet across and very flat, is still here and has in fact grown slighty. It gives off a slight , almost pleasant, floral smell when within a few feet of the substance and some remark that it resembles fungus or algae. Animals seem repulsed by the star-jelly.
Scientists from around the world have started to flock to the area, disrupting the lives of those who work and live in the town, also putting strain on rescources.The Star Jelly of Hemcus(SJH) has even reached international news. So far, no-one has been able to come up with a 100% answer as to what the substance is. To the disappointment of the locals, investigations are going to take a long time.
Hooks & Rumours
- Some scientists belive that the SJH is a form of nano-technology that somehow got attached to the meteor.
- An increasing amount of the locals are starting to get annoyed by the scientists and the testing they keep doing. Tensions are starting to run high between the two groups
- The military have begun covert investigations into the nature of the SJH
- A second deposit has been found in another town nearby, yet that had no meteors land.How did it get there?
- It has been discovered that a rather large chunk of the SJH has been removed by rather crude methods
- The SJH is still growing and now is starting to take on the same colouration as the surrounding soil in which it rests.
- Analysis of the surrounding soil has revealed that the soil has been drained of nitrates and any insect or invertebrate that touches it is consumed and absorbed by the SJH
- A couple of youths have been admitted to the nearby hospital, raving about “Tasting Eternity”. It is believed that they somehow got their hands on the SJH and consumed it
This was created based on the ideas in this post:
Article Used as Inspiration: Star Jelly
Stats and details are expressed in generic terms to allow for use in as many games and genres as possible. As with other Campaign Chunks this is designed to be used as a starting block for your own ideas.