Welcome to this week’s “10 World Building Questions About…”. Today it’s going to be about fauna, aka the creatures or animals of your world. For these questions/prompts, I’ll be working under the rule that if a creature is non-sentient, it would go under this category, although I can see the arguments for counting sentient species under this as well.
This set of questions/prompts is more about the general state of the creatures of your world. Specifics about a certain species are left for later prompts.
- Roughly how many species are present?
- Which is the most numerous, in terms of sheer numbers?
- Which has the most variety or sub-species?
- Which is the most intelligent, but still non-sentient?
- Are any fauna used as farm stock?
- What is the main view of fauna in the world? Are animals generally treated with respect or are they seen as resources to be exploited?
- What is the largest known?
- Excluding bacteria and such, which is the smallest known?
- What species have gone extinct and what caused it?
- Is natural hybridisation present? Such as Ligers (Lions and Tigers) and are the offspring viable?
- What is the most popular creature in the world and why does it have this status?
The list of previous and other world-building prompts can be found HERE.