Starting today, and planned for being every 2 weeks, alternating with the World Anvil articles about Easthalen – my RPG game world.
There are many articles out there that cover world building and this one is another for the pile. The plan is to have at least one world-building question or prompt, but chances are there will be a small collection or theme, often related to whatever I am working on for publication or related to the various RPGs I am playing that week.
So, without further ado, let’s start off this off with some prompts/questions about the world itself!
The term “world” is being used to refer to the place where the story is taking place. By default, however, a planet is assumed, so some questions or prompts may be more relevant than others.
- What is the world’s name?
- Is the world natural or was it created by external forces?
- Does the world have any orbiting bodies?
- How large is the world, compared to Earth?
- How many continents are there? What is the name of them?
- Does the world have oceans? What are the names of them?
- Are the laws of nature different here and if so how?
- What is the weather like compared to Earth?
- Are there any unique minerals here?
- What major features about the world would a visitor notice when first arriving at this place?
The list of previous and other world-building prompts can be found HERE. This list is updated semi-regularly and will change. Think of it as a work in progress.